Skip to main content

God exists.

Friends, atheists, agnostics and believers...
I am not here to preach on some religious text, nor am I here to drift you all towards a healthy nap, as happens with me very often. I am here to tell you what most of you might already know, and what some of you doubted till now. I am here to persuade you that god exists...
From time immemorial, we have pursued the existence of God. Even Albert Einstein, the great scientist, was strongly convinced of the creation of the universe by a Supreme Intelligence. In the words of Richard P. Feynman, a Nobel Prize winner for quantum electrodynamics,"Why nature is mathematical is a mystery...The fact that there are rules at all is a kind of miracle."
Did you know that in every cell of our bodies there exists a very detailed instruction code called DNA, which is much like a miniature computer program? Such intricate details are hardly the handiwork of evolutionary permutations and combinations...
I was an atheist at one time. And the issue of people believing in God bothered me greatly. To be honest, I had another motive. Part of my quest was to become free from the question of God. If I could conclusively prove to believers that they were wrong, then the issue is off the table, and I would be free to go about my life without having to bathe early every morning and lighting incense sticks... All the rituals that people performed made me all the more convinced that it was all just formality.
And then one day, I fell down a deep well when I was thirteen. Treading water all night long, I was screaming my lungs out to the echoes screaming back. I thought I was going to die. What I did, I prayed… I prayed to lord to keep me alive so I could see my parents again. So I could play with my dog. So I could go to school again. Sometimes, I wonder if I wasn’t alone down there that night. I was almost catatonic by the time I was found, but alive nonetheless.
Please don’t misunderstand my stance. I am not asking you to follow a religion and start worshipping an idol or become a hermit. I just ask you to open up your minds and believe that there is some higher power that gives us strength from within in our moments of crisis. People usually go paranoid over their religious beliefs and the next thing we know, they are rioting on the streets. Many have been murdered over the question of “Who is god and who is man?”
History shows us that Jesus, Buddha and prophet were extraordinary men. Human inspirations. That’s it... Why does it have to be human or divine? Maybe human is divine.. God is not found in temples or mosques. God is the one who stops us from doing what might cause harm to others. He is the voice inside us, which in my case, screams out loud every time I lie to my parents.
All this might make you to wonder, why does god allow evil to happen?.. For that, I can only say that a burnt hand teaches the best. Through misery, god teaches us the value of love. Unconditional love brings us closer to god. We always ask for his help in pain, but we forget to thank him for the relief...
Many educated people now say boldly that there is no God. That everything in this world goes on and evolves according to definite laws of science... But, tell me something. Can a law arise by itself? Can any law come out of nothing? The deepest craving in man is for eternal happiness, eternal knowledge and eternal Truth... As we explain everything within Nature by the law of cause and effect, so Nature as a whole must also be explained. It must have some cause...
Carl Jung, the founder of analytical psychology, when asked if he believed in God, said that he didn't believe God existed, he KNEW God existed!
Science and religion are not enemies. There are some things that science is too young to understand. So religion pleads stop.. Slow down, think, wait.. And for this they call it backward. But who is more ignorant? The man who cannot define the lightning, or the man who does not respect its awesome natural power?
Before she passed away last month, my great grandma used to say,” God is there with us on every phase of our life. Make sure you don’t judge him on the difficult ones.” She also told us that she had visions of some mighty shadow coming to take her away.
In the end, I just want to say that oneness with god brings an unusual calm. God resides everywhere, from the crawling ant, to the leaping antelope. If everyone could see this world as I do, they would see a modern miracle. A brotherhood of imperfect simple souls, who want nothing more than voices of compassion, in a world spinning out of control. The god, as we have always known, hides away in plain sight, waiting, protecting....





This was my speech in one of the courses i undertook... Hope i was able to persuade you that god exists indeed!!

Comments

  1. Nice post, and when it comes to believing in God i think that the feeling is that of self-realization. That something wonderful is work behind all this symmetry in nature,the peace in the chaos, that something as magnificent as life is not just an accident but is the result of some great force at work; i guess at some point you stand and stare at all this,overwhelmed, and you start finally believing in something supernatural.
    However when in trouble i always pray to God, but when i am not, i think that there cant be a personal god who can punish/prize us everytime we do something. I have not read Bhagvad Geeta much but i think that Bhagvan Krishna does tell something about the non-existence of a personal god.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you friend(or RF!!)... I m glad you found my speech interesting... Personal god... I think that you refer to the point where i said that god is inside us.... Well, if it seems more agreeable, i would say that a part of god resides inside all of us... The part which we now like to call the inner voice... How else will you explain phenomenona like conscience, telepathy etc.?? I have not read bhagvad gita so i can't comment on what Lord Krishna said... But something is always there inside us which stops us from committing a folly... That is a different entity from our own self because our self is already decided about what its going to do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in God.. Of course. I love your post (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. D matter is beautifully arranged... quite persuading by the end... :)
    "But who is more ignorant? The man who cannot define the lightning, or the man who does not respect its awesome natural power?".. Nice question.. makes one think...
    Nd best was.. "He is the voice inside us, which in my case, screams out loud every time I lie to my parents.".. Its in most of d cases i suppose.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. wish u were my EPS teacher last sem :)
    altho she also likd dis speech vry much :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.

Translate

Popular Posts

Invincible truth!!

As a young lad, once Subroto Roy Sahara was yelling at the washer-man for ruining a pair of his favourite jeans. His father, late Sudhir Chandra Roy, overheard him and came over. After listening to his son, he told his son to apologise to the washer-man... Later, his father explained to him the reason behind it. He said,"You only have a right to criticise somebody when you have the ability to do the very same work better than them. Only then can you question their shortcomings! And since you are no good when it comes to washing your laundry, you had no right to yell at the washer-man that way."

godlyk Gokarna..

Its time to leave for Gokarna, bags packed and all... We reach the railway station and scoot about here and there, wondering where our train is halting and why isnt the announcement being made??!! Upon enquiry, it turns out that that particular train isnt gonna show up and that we have been fooled, once more, by the Indian Railways. Heads down, red-faced, we finally decide on going by bus, a full 5-hours journey through the foothills of Goa and Kanataka. Luckily, we all got seats at the back..